For the first time in the 18 weeks of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reopening its temples, more temples have been designated for Phase 2 than are in Phase 1 in the four-phase reopening plan following total closure in March due to the global COVID-19 pandemic.
As of Sept. 7, the Church will have 79 temples operating in Phase 2 and 56 others in Phase 1, with 135 of its 168 temples worldwide open for limited operations in either of the first two phases.
Temple reopenings to date, by Church areas, include:
- 83 of the 89 temples in the six North America and Utah areas, with one still closed and five under renovation. Of the 83 reopened temples, 47 are in Phase 2, with nine more moving from Phase 1 to Phase 2 on Sept. 7 and the other 27 in Phase 1.
- 13 of the 14 temples in the two Europe areas, with one closed. Ten of the 13 reopened temples are in Phase 2 or will be by Sept. 7, and the other three are in Phase 1.
- 12 of the 21 temples in the Brazil and two South America areas, with nine closed. Two of the 12 are in Phase 2, the other 10 are in Phase 1.
- 11 of the 12 temples in the Pacific and Philippines areas. Seven of the 11 reopened temples are in Phase 2 or will be by Sept. 7, with the other four in Phase 1.
- Seven of the 21 temples in the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico areas, with 14 closed. All seven reopened temples are in Phase 1.
- All five of the temples in the three Africa areas are reopened. Two of the five are in Phase 2, the other three are in Phase 1.
- Four of the six temples in the two Asia areas, with two closed for renovation. Two of the four reopened temples are in Phase 2, the other two are in Phase 1.
Below are the 12 temples to reopen for phase 2 on September 7, 2020:
- Gilbert Arizona Temple
- Indianapolis Indiana Temple
- Kansas City Missouri Temple
- Manti Utah Temple
- Phoenix Arizona Temple
- Preston England Temple
- Snowflake Arizona Temple
- St. Paul Minnesota Temple
- Suva Fiji Temple
- Sydney Australia Temple
- The Gila Valley Arizona Temple
- Tucson Arizona Temple
Below are the 4 temples closed until further notice
- Ciudad Juárez Temple
- Colonia Juárez Temple
- Columbus Ohio Temple (renovation)
- Mexico City Mexico Temple