In a letter to all Church members, the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints expressed their gratitude for the efforts of all those who have worked to address the global COVID-19 pandemic.
With the latest announcement of six temples identified for Phase 1 reopening on July 13, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has 115 of its 168 operational temples worldwide open or scheduled to be open for limited operations.
The six announced Monday, July 6, to resume limited living husband-and-wife sealing ordinances include the first two to reopen in the state of Washington after closure in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Others temples are Canada’s final two to reopen, a second in Brazil and the Church’s oldest temple in California.
The six scheduled for July 13 reopening are the Seattle Washington, Spokane Washington, Halifax Nova Scotia, Montreal Quebec, Porto Alegre Brazil and Los Angeles California temples.
The reopening of temples will proceed in a cautious and carefully planned and coordinated manner based on local government restrictions and as authorized by the Temple Department. The four phases of opening are designed to reduce risk, accommodate the demand and capacity of the temple, and observe any relevant health restrictions in the temple district.
- Phase 1: Open for restricted living sealings only
- Perform living sealings only for previously endowed members under strict guidelines and safety precautions
- Phase 2: Open for all living ordinances only
- Perform all temple ordinances for living individuals
- Maintain closure of patron housing, clothing, and cafeteria operations
- Phase 3: Open for all ordinances with restrictions
- Continue providing ordinances for living individuals
- Provide proxy ordinances for ancestors in a restricted manner
- Open patron housing, clothing, and cafeteria operations as needed
- Phase 4: Open for full operations
- Resume regular temple operations
As directed by the Temple Department, other temples will be reopened based on local government and public health directives. They will follow this same phased approach in reopening, beginning with husband-and-wife sealings by appointment.
The following temples will begin Phase 1 of reopening on the date listed after the temple name. The most recent additions are:
- Halifax Nova Scotia Temple (July 13)
- Los Angeles California Temple (July 13)
- Montreal Quebec Temple (July 13)
- Porto Alegre Brazil Temple (July 13)
- Seattle Washington Temple (July 13)
- Spokane Washington Temple (July 13)
Two temples which had previously reopened as Phase 1, the Colonia Juarez Chihuahua Mexico Temple and the Monterrey Mexico Temple, are now closed.